Techmeme

paidContent.org

GigaOM

NewTeeVee

TechCrunch

Mashable!

Southern California High Tech News

Blog Maverick

Techmeme

Friday, June 1, 2007

BestBuy, Blockbuster To Enter Movie Downloads; Deals With Lionsgate

I found this post on paicontent.org last night. I always knew a large number of providers would offer movies online for consumers to rent or purchase, but I have to admit, I'm surprised at how many and how quickly they have launched. I did see this a bit with music downloads, followed by a large consolidation, but the train seems to just be picking up steam.

To date, since early 2006, Amazon, Apple, Wal-Mart, Vongo, AOL, NetFlix (and now BestBuy and Blockbuster) have all gotten into the game. This is in addition to Movielink and CinemaNow who have been in the game for over 4 years.

In addition, most of the movie download services are pricing their studio titles with little or no margin (negative in some cases). Wal-Mart and Apple provide the content as a lost leader to bolster their storefronts or consumer electric sales.

I will be interesting to see how things shape up... let the games begin.

No comments: